Monday 2 August 2010

Memoirs of a French Poser

I closed my eyes and went back to 2006. The streets of Cuffe Parade, Mumbai that led to the classroom of Alliance Francaise in GD Somani school. “Je m’appelle Tejasvi. J’habite a Mumbai. Je suis etudiante.” I smiled. It’s funny how things always make sense in retrospect. One may not realize it right then, but there is always a plan, a bigger picture. Who knew the casual French language classes I took four years ago would one day come in handy when Egomark -the company I interned with- gave me the opportunity to travel to the city of my dreams! How many times had I imagined strolling down the streets of Paris and sipping cafĂ©-au-lait at a corner shop while watching the beret-sporting junta pass by? How often had I dreamt of visiting Chanel’s first shop and trotting down la rue something-or-the-other in Louboutins? And I’ve lost count of the different scenarios in which I could fake the language! The captain’s sudden “Bienvenue a Paris” broke me from my reverie.

Ahem...The Business class

I shifted in my seat and checked to see that I had my passport and documentation within easy access. I alighted and immediately took a deep breath of the French air. Aah! I didn’t smell pain-au-chocolat or fresh butter croissants. But I did smell a dream coming true :-)

Gare du Nord 

The streets outside La Gare du Nord were as busy as I imagined Paris to be. The world (to use a line from Shawshank Redemption) seemed to have gone and gotten itself in a great big hurry! All I could hear around me was “zis iz ze zoo zee zish”. 

Champs Elysees

I saw a guy with a thin linear moustache cycle past me. The traffic rules were completely opposite to those of the UK (and India). I smiled again. It was all I expected it to be.  I went to the information desk for directions to the famous Metro that would take me to where the trade show was being held. This time I was surprised. I’d heard so much about the rude and unhelpful nature of the French. But here was this guy going out of his way to help me get to the Metro! I thanked him (in French) and mentally thanked London Underground and the Mumbai locals that helped me understand even complex train networks like the one in Paris. The 3 days I spent there were all I had hoped my first trip to the city of my dreams would be! Starting with the trade show (which is what I was in Paris for) gave me the chance to interact with some interesting buyers from the industry.


Now, does THAT even need a caption!

The Eiffel Tower left me awestruck with tears streaming down my face as I struggled to fathom what it was about the thousand-foot phallus (as described by Dan Brown in The Da Vinci Code) that evoked all these feelings in people.

Champs Elysees again

I strolled down the Champs Elysees taking in the sights of the flagship stores of all my favourite brands.

L'arc de Triomphe

L’arc de Triomphe brought back images of the same in my French text books and the visit to the Louvre rounded off my maiden trip to this fantastic city!! It was perfect! I talked the talk and I most definitely walked the walk!




Le Louvre!!

As I boarded the Eurostar to Kings Cross St.Pancras, London, I couldn’t help but thank God for small mercies. Not only was I living in London, but also travelled to the Haute Couture capital on work! Was I lucky or just plain blessed? I flipped through French Vogue as I smiled to myself (for the umpteenth time)  wondering when I would set foot on Italian ground ;-)

Can't get enough of La Tour Eiffel

Much Love

TD for CC

Bisous!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things!
    It so great to see you do well....KUDOSSSS!!!

    Moby

    ReplyDelete
  2. mademoiselle, vous ĂȘtes awsome
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet blog - A virtual walk around Paris with Tejasvi - Good one!! Sticking to the Paris theme - Please listen to this son and continue living th eParis dream - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nO3BlNjLo - Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys!! and nilesh aka sportsnexus, i love the dedication!:-) Keep 'em coming i say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paris! So one part of the dream run around the fashion capitals of the world is complete. Hope you get to NYC next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! I love your Paris pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teju, Good start for great life ahead

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails