Tuesday 20 January 2015

The Wedding Diaries - A Deck of Cards

Ah the eternal confusion!


What colour? What paper? Maybe not paper...fabric then? Canvas or silk? What about a scroll design? Nice and traditional huh! Errm...too expensive I guess. Handmade paper? Earthy and beautiful! Maybe I could make it look like an ancient manuscript. *rubs hands together in glee* Five minutes later, The Mother rules out the idea. *puts thinking cap back on*. How about a tie-n-dye fabric encased in a handmade paper frame with the invite printed in vegetable dye? *crushes the idea mentally, rolls it into a tight imaginary paper ball and tosses it into the mind's recycle bin*



Ah the eternal confusion of the Perfect Wedding Invite!



How do people do this? How do they manage the right invitation card to suit their aesthetic sense as well as their wallets? I wanted my wedding invite to be different, attractive and at the same time easy on my parents' pockets. It had to be the true reflection of my sensibilities, yet stand out amid the  myriad invitations going out this wedding season! I always knew it had to be affordable because I'd accepted the reality that after my wedding, it was going into the rubbish bins of all my guests *sobs* 



So, what would it be! 



I started thinking about me. If I had to put myself on a mood board, what were the various items I would use to aptly represent me?



Lace, pink, gold, vintage font, the English Rose, Calligraphic lettering, Floral prints, Vine and trellis patterns, pearls, pale hues of pop colours, monochromatic graphics, layers of feathery textures, Madhubani prints in ashy English colours, Origami folds...



*Phew* What extensive creative explorations! Anyway, having successfully completed the exploratory stage, I started collecting pictures that would fit into this design framework and came up with a host of ideas!


                        


What a process! But it looked like my ideas were finally taking shape. They were starting to fill out and we were all quite happy with the designs.



My parents and I sat down and chalked out the script for the card, put some rough sketches together, had endless meetings with the graphic designer and the screen printer, chose the  kind of paper we wanted, sat through hours of pigment mixing at the dingy screen printer's workshop and voila! The Perfect Wedding Invitation Card was  finally in place. (Watch out for pictures of the finished product coming up very soon!)



My parents and I patted ourselves on our backs and gave each other smug smiles of satisfaction.




Ah the incomparable bliss of creative satisfaction!




***A special note about the Postal Department. I posted some cards at the GPO in Mumbai on Saturday the 17th and I got confirmation receipts and "congratulations, what a pretty card!" calls from Chennai on Monday the 19th! I realise we all underestimate good ol' India Post when actually, their efficiency is unmatched! Kudos to our postal department! *slow clap*



Much Love,

TD for CC

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails