Friday 23 April 2010

The thoughts of a wannabe Fashion Critic

I woke up this morning and decided it was going to be a great day!  The sunlight poured in through every crevice and bounced off my black patent heels. The Miss Sixty dress I was going to wear that evening was laid out neatly beside the “Bitten” by Sarah Jessica Parker jacket that went so well with it! A leisurely shower and the customary steaming mug of coffee later, I started to get dressed. It was 3.00 pm and I was an hour early (for the first time ever!). But I couldn’t wait to get out of the house and be on the move. 




The thrill of watching a London College of Fashion (LCF) grad show was giving me wheels beneath my feet. I walked with a spring in my step and felt a strange sense of anticipation and restlessness. The BA (Hons) Fashion Design Technology students were graduating and I had been invited by a friend to witness the debut of tomorrow’s Chanels and Schiaparellis (or should I say McQueens and McCartneys?) 

The show was due to begin at 5.00 pm and I found myself at the doors to the university an hour earlier! Why Tejasvi! This is a major improvement for someone who arrived an hour late for her first ever job interview! Anyhoo, after an hour of waiting patiently (which required me to summon all the strength I didn’t know I had) we were ushered into the Rootstein Hopkins Space – the venue for the fashion show. People poured into the hall by the dozen and took their seats in less than 5 minutes (I know! :O) After the usual “Switch off your mobile phones” announcement, the lights were dimmed and there was a slight murmur in the audience. People shifted in their seats, a few whispers flew around the room and a couple of mobile phones vibrated audibly. But once Chicane blasted through the speakers, all sings of restlessness and impatience disappeared. The catwalk lit up with focus lights and out strutted the models one by one, their strides matching the rhythm of the beats. Here are a few of my personal observations from the show (in no particular order):

1. Indian model are leagues ahead of the western ones! In terms of body language, poise, walk, ramp attitude, the body itself and the way they customise and change their walk and posture according to the outfit they wear to better enhance the elements of that particular outfit. They take the business of “modelling” very seriously! After watching the weak, expressionless zombies on catwalk today, I feel proud to have been associated with the Indian modelling industry, if only for a short while.

2. Even models have cellulite‼ Yes it’s true. So don’t worry about the slight dimples on your thighs, girls! Chin up and pull out those shorts for the summer. You’ve got nothing to be embarrassed about!



3. LCF is no great shakes. NIFT is as good, probably better, in the education imparted and the quality of students it churns our year after year. Some of the collections were so poorly finished, I wanted to cry for the designer! At one point, I distinctly remember having a strong urge to grab the garment off the catwalk and sit down with a needle and thread for a long session of hemming and slip stitches! I think the NIFT professors are doing as good a job and we NIFTians should be very proud of our roots.

4. Watch out for Trisha Saklecha, my friend and an upcoming fashion designer. One of the most brilliant young designers I’ve had the good fortune to meet. Her collection made a small part of me want to go back to the drawing board – a very small part of me :) 

5. Although a majority of the show comprised low quality fabric and garment finishing, not to mention average designs and cheap accessories, the remainder of the show gave me the chance to witness some outstanding garment construction and use of fabric. Now that’s what I expected to see more of.

6. We Indians could take a page out of the fashion industry’s book here. The show started promptly at 5.00 pm, it was crisply managed and well organised, everyone followed the rules and there was no squabbling for seats or fighting over someone having stepped on your foot. They said it would last an hour and lo and behold! I found myself being ushered out the door at 6.05 pm. Impressive‼

7. I was aghast at the poor hair and makeup and the even worse lingerie of the models. Did no one tell them about stick-on silicon bras and nude thongs? A wedgie is not something I want to see on the catwalk!

8. Can I make a quick mention about the fabulous music used in the show? This time, a very big part of me wanted to jump out on the runway and join the models.

9. Looks like exaggerated shoulders and hips are here to stay.

10. Punk, studs, rivets, leather and bling just don’t work any more. Out the window I say!

11. Plaid – in any combination, size and weave – is done to death. Over and out.

12. Unexpected seams, pleats and draped construction are the direction garments need to be taken it. Gives a simple silhouette an interesting edge.

13. Go suede and chiffon‼ We could definitely see more of these fabrics.

14. Peek-a-boo elements are slowly creeping into simple styles for a touch of mischief.

15. Whatever happened to “dressing for the occasion”? There was a guy in denim shorts and trainers at the show today – IN THE FRONT ROW‼ No, that’s not cool!

16. Muddy, murky, dirtied versions of pastel colours are the hues to watch out for. So much more interesting than the done-to-death tones we see everywhere. 

I walked out with an inescapable sense of disappointment. As I munched on a tuna sandwich, I couldn’t help but wonder which of the designers from today would take a bow at the London Fashion Week soon! Hopefully I can write about that too, on a more professional scale!

P.S: Missed you Darshana – my fellow blogger and the other half of Clandestine Cigarettes.   

TD

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I agree with you on the ramp attitude of the "phoren" models. I think Indian models are way better. It is good to know our education standards are almost as good if not on par with their standards. Hope you can make it London fashion week too. Tc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tejasvi i remember you always said Indian body is the best.. u can be a good critic as always..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @adi - aww thanks man!! love the brotherly support!!
    @suman - thank u suman!! :) *takes a bow*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..Tejasvi and darshana... i loove all your blogposts ...ur writing style is quite nice n crisp...and I totally totally agree with u on all the points here...

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had to open this page for the picture! hot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mujhe Bhi nai cheez sikhne ka man hota he

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails